Friday, March 03, 2006

The Effects of Blogging

"A new system of communication is changing society and no body knows it."
That is what my computer teacher told me the first day she introduced blogging to my class. As I questioned the statement she made ( How can society be changing if no body knows it?), I was reminded of the topic of Trent Lott.
At the party of Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday, Trent Lott stated that "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. W're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." Later, Democrats such as Jesse Jackson and former Vice President Al Gore said that his comment was "racist." This was because of Thurman's background. In the 1948 presidential race, Thurman's party declared "We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race." Even though Thurman mellowed out from his strong support for segregation, his past seemed to haunt Lott. The reason for any and all of the attention drawn to this statement came from two people who found his statement interesting, so they picked it up and ran with it.
Glenn Reynolds and Josh Marshall launched blogs over the internet at ABCNews.com to talk on the "racist" comments which Lott used. Finally, the press found a way to bring the negative to the public, so they did. Lott's statements had nothing to do with racism, yet the press corps thought differently.
Even though the corrupting news groups of today would have criticised Lott anyways, it takes communication to bring information to them, and blogging did just that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki A. Davis said...

You are advanced far beyond your years. I also hope you will blog and link to this first one and put your opinions as you told me so well in class. I have now subscribed to you via bloglines.

You belong on the blogosphere. I am glad that I'm the teacher who helped you start. I feel you will soon leave me in the dust.

Remember to read my post on blogging and begin to use the tricks to help increase traffic. You are worth reading! No one will believe you are just barely a teenager!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Johan Sundström said...

Blogging certainly is reshaping media. This post of yours, for instance, may reach wider than the ABCnews coverage it refers to. To a person in Sweden (such as myself), your perspective and opinion may prove more interesting and revealing than that of some corporate american entity.

And mostly anybody anywhere can blog.

6:22 PM  
Blogger John said...

Blogging surely is a force to be reckoned with. Bloggers, especially, those who blog about local issues will be in great demand.

You have a great blog here and I am amazed by the design and the information. Good work!

While teens are going through that interesting phase in their lives I, as a parent would recommend “Off the Hook,” a free cell phone agreement developed for teens and their parents by the father of teens. Using this agreement parents can work hand-in-hand with their teen to find a suitable cell phone plan and then to make sure they understand the responsibility (and the costs) that go along with cell phone ownership.

Keep up the good work!

J

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home